All BYU graduate students should have an opportunity to showcase the amazing research that they work so hard on. The BYU Grad Expo is the venue that facilitates interaction between graduate students, their research, and the BYU community.
Who? Everyone is invited!
What? This event is a venue for grad students to display research/presentations to everyone. This is a contest for graduate students with cash prizes and the audience votes to decide who wins!
When? April 7, 2016 from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Where? WSC Garden Court.
Why? Share and learn about the outstanding graduate work done at BYU!
Simply come and walk around! You will learn about the great graduate work done at BYU, and get to vote for your favorite presentation.
INSTRUCTIONS: If you are interested, you MUST follow the instructions below:
- Contact your department graduate secretary. Find out if they already have a representative.
- The department is to send one representative each. (We do not determine how departments choose—if you are the only applicant and they decide to send you, great! The department can decide any way they want!)
- Departments MUST email their representative’s NAME & EMAIL ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If selected, you need to email us, at email@example.com, the title and a short description of your presentation.
More details about the event for presenters:
- Description: The event is a poster session, but we are encouraging the use of videos, demonstrations, and interactive activities.
- Supplies: Each student selected by his/her department will have one booth with a table. You are responsible for other supplies
First off, you don't have to be grad students to be a volunteer.
We need volunteers in 2-hour shifts, either 10-12 or 12-2. We want about 60 volunteers--30 per 2-hour shift, and are still looking for a few more.
To volunteer, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Please give us your shirt size & which shift you want (must be able to do a shift for shirt/lunch)
For volunteering you receive:
- Free shirt
- Free lunch
- Amazing volunteer opportunity--it will be fun! :)
What is the Grad Expo?
The Grad Expo is different than the Grad Fair. It is an opportunity for one student from each department to showcase their own best research.
How should I present?
The Grad Expo is a poster-presentation style forum. We will provide a booth and a table for each presenter. It is your responsibility to create your own poster and presentation materials. There are no limits or guidelines for poster dimensions, except that it has to fit in your booth. The more creative you are, the more memorable your research will be to the attendees. If you choose to bring a computer to supplement your presentation and require an outlet, please let us know.
Who is my audience?
Our job is to make sure you have plenty of people to interact with. You will be presenting to undergraduates, graduates, faculty, and anyone who happens to be passing through the WSC. We anticipate that the most successful participants will be those who find a way to present their research quickly, simply, and memorably. You will not have a captive audience - they will be walking from booth to booth. There will be computers at the doors where those attending the Expo will vote on their favorite presenter. This is how the winners will be determined.
How big will my booth be?
It will be roughly 8 feet wide, and will include table.
What you choose to wear is entirely at your discretion, as long as it is honor code compliant. Default should be professional. However, if you think there is attire which will help attendees remember you and your research, creativity is encouraged.